HONOLULU (KHON2) — A 12-year-old Punahou eighth grader is Hawaii’s youngest ever chess champion.
[Hawaii’s Weather Station – Latest in Hawaii weather]
Over Labor Day weekend, Mark Chen won the 2020 Hawaii State Open.
He earned his title online since the in-person tournament had to be done virtually due to COVID-19 restrictions.
He needed a win in the final round because of an earlier loss while his opponent only needed a draw.
Chen said he wanted to win the tournament before he graduated high school.
Before Mark, the youngest title holders were 16 years old. They were Robert Lau in 2008 and Eldon Nakagawa in 2012.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Hawaii inmate dies at Saguaro Correctional Center
- State launches online tip portal to report unlicensed activity
- Free COVID-19 testing available on Hilo Monday
- Coffee leaf rust confirmed on Maui, possibly on Big Island
- Battling false information: Where to go for facts before Election Day