A lawsuit has been filed against the State Department of Public Safety and a male adult corrections officer at the Oahu Community Correctional Center.
The lawsuit claims he sent a female officer naked pictures of himself, as well as text messages asking her to have sex. Her attorneys say she texted him to stop, but it continued.
“This happened over an eight-month period and nothing substantial has been done by the Department of Public Safety or the officials at OCCC to correct or to separate the wrong-doer from our client,” plaintiff’s attorney Joseph Rosenbaum said.
Rosenbaum says his client didn’t want to report it at first because she had been a guard for only a couple of months and he is a veteran guard. But she had to do something when a naked picture was sent to her phone while her son was using it.
“It finally crossed the line when her son was the recipient of this conduct and she just said that is enough,” plaintiff’s attorney Victor Bakke said.
Her attorneys say she did file a formal complaint after that, but according to the lawsuit, he kept harassing her. This time, he sent her text messages of intimidation, saying that he’s watching her.
“Our client felt extremely harassed by this and felt that he was essentially observing her at work because he was able to watch the video cameras and see where she was at all times,” Rosenbaum said.
Attorneys say their investigation shows that the male guard sent the same naked pictures to at least two other female guards.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety says she has not seen the lawsuit yet, so she can’t comment.
As for the accused guard…
“He is currently still employed with the Department of Public Safety,” Department of Public Safety spokesperson Toni Schwartz said.
“In the same capacity or limited capacity?” KHON2 asked.
“Right now, all I can say is he’s still employed with the department,” Schwartz said.
The lawsuit says the female guard wants compensation for the emotional stress. She also wants him out of OCCC.
The mayor says ad sales would help close a huge budget gap. But at least one group believes the ads would spoil Hawaii's beauty.
Murder suspect Bryan Suitt made his first court appearance in California on Wednesday. He's accused of killing 34-year-old Alex Gonzales and dumping his dismembered body in a Waipio ravine in September.
Nearly 30,000 runners are expected to hit the pavement for Sunday's Honolulu Marathon and they'll be joined by plenty of of police officers. Security will be tighter than ever in light of the deadly bombing at the Boston Marathon in April.