Maui fire crews responded to a house fire on Pihaa Street just before 6 p.m. Friday.
The fire crews were told that smoke and flames were coming from the garage that was beneath a two-story home.
His mom was taken out of the home by a caretaker while he put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. When fire crews arrived, the fire was already out. No one was injured, and the estimated property damage is $500.
Investigators say a light fixture outside the garage caught on fire and started moving up the wooden walls and under the balcony above the garage
The fire affected the wood panels neat the light and a wooden beam.
The cause of the fire was considered accidental due to a faulty light fixture
The first runner to cross the finish line of the 2013 Honolulu Marathon was Gilbert Chepkwony who finished in 2:18:47.
Airline officials say due to the wintry weather several flights to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and from there Sunday were cancelled.
A 3.8 magnitude earthquake happened just before 10:30 pm. Saturday at 6.1 miles east southeast of Holualoa on the Big Island according to the US Geological Society.