Local News

Suspects in Mililani officer-involved shooting released pending investigation

Honolulu police are investigating a shooting in Mililani.

At around 1:15 p.m., police say officers responded to the Burger King drive-thru on a report of a stolen vehicle.

"It's a 2015 brown Ford pickup truck. It was reported stolen from the Pearl City area on Nov. 30 of this year," said HPD acting assistant chief Larry Lawson.

In an attempt to flee, the stolen vehicle rammed into a police-subsidized vehicle and continued forward, nearly striking an officer.

Police say the officer opened fire, striking the driver and front passenger. A third person in the vehicle was not hurt.

According to Emergency Medical Services, the two men were hospitalized in serious condition. Police say they have several felony convictions.

The driver, Dayson James Eblacas, 30, was treated for an apparent gunshot wound to the upper right back. Police say he was arrested on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder, second-degree criminal property damage, driving without a license, and a contempt warrant.

Mathew Teson, 31, the front-seat passenger, was treated for apparent gunshot wounds to the right hip and elbow. Police say he was arrested for second-degree unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle and a contempt warrant.

The rear passenger, Nichole Teson, 35, was also arrested for second-degree unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle and several contempt warrants.

All three have been released pending further investigation, however police say one of the male suspects remains in the hospital.

No officers or bystanders were injured. The officer who opened fire has 12 years of service and will be placed on administrative leave, as is standard in these circumstances.

"The officer was a plain clothes unit assigned to District 2 Wahiawa location patrol area," Lawson said.

The investigation has shut down Makaimoimo Street from Meheula Parkway to the entrance of Town Center of Mililani.

The incident prompted a brief lockdown of Mililani High School, from 1:15-1:50 p.m.

Student Cody McLeod was in the bathroom when he heard gunshots.

"They said, 'This is not a drill. Go back to your classes,'" he said. "I was panicking and I couldn't go back in my room. It wouldn't open so I had to go to any class with their door open. It was kinda scary."

Trending Stories

Latest Local News