Day 13 of the Christopher Deedy murder trial came to a close with the cross-examination of the shooting victim's friend.
Shane Medeiros was a friend of Kollin Elderts. He was cross-examined by defense attorneys, and was asked repeatedly why he stayed in the restaurant after a fight broke out.
Elderts was killed by a gunshot after he got into a fight with special agent Christopher Deedy.
Medeiros told the court he stayed because he was also involved in a fight with Deedy's friend.
"I just didn't want to believe that someone was going to be carrying around a gun in a crowded McDonalds - like that. So at first I was just trying to make myself believe that this guy doesn't have a gun. Who's going to be carrying around a gun right now? But then I realized, it is a gun. He does have a gun," Medeiros said.
Deedy's lawyers say he shot Elderts in self defense.
Trial continues tomorrow.
- Friend of victim describes shooting threats by federal agent
- Medical examiner: Man shot by federal agent died from short-range bullet wound
- Deedy's friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy's friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn't feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim's friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder
- Trial begins for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder
- Lawyer for man accused of fatal shooting in Waikiki fights to move case to federal court
- Trial date set for federal agent accused of killing Kailua man in Waikiki
- Jury selection begins for agent's HI murder trial
- Federal agent accused of murder returns to Honolulu court
A California company is proposing a second wind farm next to the current Kahuku wind farm.
Murder suspect Bryan Suitt made his first court appearance in California on Wednesday. He's accused of killing 34-year-old Alex Gonzales and dumping his dismembered body in a Waipio ravine in September.
The mayor says ad sales would help close a huge budget gap. But at least one group believes the ads would spoil Hawaii's beauty.